REPORTS TO: MORGAN ALLEN, CONTROLLER
RPM is a full-service agency tailored for live entertainment and experiences. Our team works directly with clients on campaigns that are effective and progressive in both strategy and creativity. We are looking to expand our team with people who share this passion. Clients include the Broadway shows Hamilton, Chicago, Moulin Rouge!, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Phantom of the Opera, and also Madison Square Garden Entertainment, and others. Even through the global pandemic, RPM continues to provide premiere marketing, creative, and strategy to our clients as we launch Broadway’s triumphant return.
The Business Affairs Associate will be part of our growing team, including a Senior Business Affairs Manager, Controller, and Managing Partner, in a support capacity. Business Affairs at RPM is nimble, fast-paced, transparent, and highly responsive to needs both internal and client-facing. The Business Affairs Associate will help to ensure day-to-day operations are running smoothly and will touch a variety of agency business including client media budgets and billing, creative project estimates, internal accounting and reporting, and human resources. and talent payments. Business Affairs at RPM oversees talent responsibilities for all the agency’s commercial shoots and recording sessions with our core areas of oversight and execution being union compliance, contracts, talent payments, cycle expirations, and budget actualizations. The Business Affairs Associate will participate in every aspect of these areas, working to ensure all responsibilities and obligations are being met and that the agency is running a professional and seamless talent operation.
With the support of the entire team, a successful Business Affairs Associate will be confident in owning the following areas of operation:
- Maintain organization of media insertion orders and client agreements, linking them through to the client-facing budgets for easy access
- Create and maintain a weekly tracker of media budget over/underspends for distribution to finance/media/client management teams
- Responsible for transferring signed insertion orders and client agreements from the media team to client budgets
- Track incoming third party invoices and file them appropriately by the project estimate they correspond to
- Maintain tracker of upcoming/current/outstanding project estimates that need to be actualized
- File all third party invoices into appropriate digital folders for processing (ongoing)
- Enter client invoice payments into QuickBooks and prepare checks for deposit
- Compile company credit card purchase requests, track down missing receipts, reconcile credit card statements in QuickBooks
- Maintain a comprehensive tracking document for every shoot/session the agency undertakes
- Attend internal kick-off meetings to gather talent-related needs for every shoot/session
- Liaise with Executive Producer to keep Business Affairs up to date during shoot pre-production and to assess potential locations for proper workplace conditions
- Liaise with copy team to review final client approved script format
- Work with Controller and Senior Business Affairs Manager to schedule and follow through on talent-related deadlines for each shoot/session
- Work with Controller and Senior Business Affairs Manager to create and submit session and completion reports for talent payment during post-production
- Work with Executive Producer to collect invoices and receipts from shoot to actualize against client estimate/budget
YOUR TYPICAL DAY AT THE OFFICE:
After catching up on some emails and Slacks, you spend time reviewing vendor invoices that have come in and enter them into the tracking document. You open any checks that have arrived from clients and prepare them for deposit. You flag a few issues with bills and payments so you check in with the Controller to find out the best way to proceed. After that, you work closely with the Senior Business Affairs Manager to make any updates to media budgets, ensuring client-facing documents are up-to-date with the latest media strategies the agency is implementing. You spend some time maintaining RPM’s database of current project estimates, ensuring we’ve reconciled completed projects in a timely fashion. Next, you spend time reviewing your master talent tracking document for all potential and confirmed upcoming shoots/sessions. You remove a shoot that has been canceled and alert the talent team to the cancellation. While doing that you notice that a confirmed upcoming shoot doesn’t have an official date yet so you check in with the Producer. They confirm the date and you enter it in your tracking document, alert the talent team then begin moving through your pre-production checklist. All the while you’ve been monitoring the appropriate Slack channels for actionable items and moving on them as needed. You’ve been assisting the Controller and Senior Business Affairs Manager throughout the day on various administrative tasks, research projects, and number-crunching. Before attending a previously scheduled internal kick-off for a large broadcast shoot in a few weeks to take notes, you run through a bunch of invoices and receipts you’ve tracked down from last week’s small motion shoot and begin to actualize expenses so the finance team can properly bill the client. After the meeting, you do a final sweep of Slack then head home for the day.
HOW DO YOU DEFINE SUCCESS?
A successful Business Affairs Associate at RPM will be someone who enjoys being efficiently busy, takes pride in being organized, feels super comfortable admitting what they don’t know, and asks questions instead of guessing. The Business Affairs Associate should be excited by the prospect of working in a start-up, collaborative environment where systems and processes are always evolving. Your job is all about making sure no stone is left unturned. You will interact with numerous people at the agency who are all driving hard towards their goals - you will have to be able to get the information you need while being sensitive to their pressures and deadlines. An understanding of how your role in the Business Affairs department plays into the bigger picture of the work produced by our clients will be crucial to a successful and fulfilling day at the office. An interest in learning new things and a curiosity in how and why RPM does what it does are also essential to this role. The Business Affairs Associate should love a to-do list...and love crossing things off it even more.
- 2+ years working in a professional office or similar environment
- Hyper attention to detail and organizational skills a must
- Proven planning and project tracking skills required
- Comfortable working with numbers and spreadsheets
- Ability to juggle multiple projects at once
- Curiosity about the inner workings of Broadway/advertising
- Eagerness to learn and ask lots of questions
- Not afraid to step up and own a project, but know when to escalate potential risks to management
- Familiarity with Google Docs, Google Sheets, and MS Office suite
- Knowledge of basic QuickBooks accounting software a plus
- This is a full-time, 40-hour per week position with benefits
- Knowledge of Broadway and/or advertising is a plus but is not required
Email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Business Affairs Associate in the subject line. Any email submitted without the proper subject line and materials will not be considered.
RPM Agency LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.