Reports to Morgan Allen, Controller
RPM is a dynamic, full-service ad agency with a bold vision for the live entertainment space. Our team aims to create a trust-filled partnership with clients, focusing on transparency, streamlined workflow and the integration of strategy, media and creative that captures the imagination. We are looking to expand our team with people who share this passion. Clients include the Broadway shows Hamilton, Chicago, Waitress, Moulin Rouge!, Network, Burn This, Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Oklahoma!, The Cher Show, plus Second Stage Theater, American Ballet Theatre, Big Apple Circus, Blue Man Group, Madison Square Garden Entertainment and Cirque du Soleil.
The Finance Associate will be part of our growing finance team, including a Client Finance Coordinator, Controller, and Managing Partner, in a support capacity. Finance at RPM is nimble, fast-paced, transparent and highly responsive to needs both internal and client-facing. The Finance Associate will help to ensure day-to-day operations are running smoothly and will touch a variety of agency business including client media budgets and billing, creative project estimates, internal accounting and reporting, human resources and talent payments.
With the support of the finance team, a successful Finance Associate will be confident in owning the following areas of operation:
- Maintain organization of media insertion orders and client agreements, linking them through to the client-facing budgets for easy access
- Create and maintain a weekly tracker of media budget over/underspends for distribution to finance/media/client management teams
- Responsible for transferring signed insertion orders and client agreements from the media team to client budgets
- Track incoming third party invoices and file them appropriately by the project estimate they correspond to
- Maintain tracker of upcoming/current/outstanding project estimates that need to be actualized
- File all third party invoices into appropriate digital folders for processing
- Transfer all invoices from media buying partner into a master reconciles document
- Import vendor bills into QuickBooks
- Prepare vendor payments/pay stubs for filing
- Enter client invoice payments into QuickBooks and prepare checks for deposit
- Compile company credit card purchase requests, track down missing receipts, reconcile credit card statements in QuickBooks
- Reconcile messenger service invoices to properly bill clients when applicable
- Field and respond to payables inquiries from vendors
- Maintain hard copy file of pending vendor payments
- Continually update client billing contacts list
- Update project management software to prepare each week’s billing
- Create draft emails/shells for weekly billing
- Input weekly media/third party invoices and production hours into client-facing billing backup documents; update budgets and all internal documents accordingly
- Maintain third party invoice tracker
- Transfer weekly RPM expenses to client billing and budgets
- Review prior month billable expenses and reconcile with client invoices
- 1+ years working in a professional office or similar environment
- Familiarity with Google Docs, Google Sheets and MS Office suite preferred
- Knowledge of basic QuickBooks accounting software a plus but not required
- This is a full-time, 40-hour per week position with benefits
- Salary commensurate with experience
- RPM is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
- Email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Finance Associate in the subject line. Any email submitted without the proper subject line and materials will not be considered.
YOUR TYPICAL DAY AT THE OFFICE:
After catching up on some emails and Slacks, you spend time reviewing invoices that have come in and enter them into the tracking document. You open any checks that have arrived from clients and prepare them for deposit. You flag a few issues with bills and payments so you check in with the Controller to find out the best way to proceed. After that, you work closely with the Client Finance Coordinator to make any updates to media budgets, ensuring client-facing documents are up-to-date with the latest media strategies the agency is implementing. You spend some time maintaining RPM’s database of current project estimates, ensuring we’ve reconciled completed projects in a timely fashion. Your afternoon is largely spent at your desk organizing and filing documents and forwarding credit card purchase requests to the Controller for approval. You discover that some approved credit card requests don’t have receipts submitted so you follow-up with the appropriate employee in order to close out the request. All the while you’ve been monitoring the appropriate Slack channels for budget related actionables and moving on items as needed. You’ve been assisting the Controller and Client Finance Coordinator throughout the day on various administrative tasks, research projects and number-crunching. After working through your daily checklist and completing all the items you do a final debrief for the day with the Controller and plan some initial to-do’s for the next morning before heading out.
HOW DO YOU DEFINE SUCCESS?
A successful Finance Associate at RPM will be someone who enjoys being efficiently busy, takes pride in being organized, feels super comfortable admitting what they don’t know and asks questions instead of guessing. The Finance Associate should be excited by the prospect of working in a start-up, collaborative environment where systems and processes are always evolving. A comfort with numbers and analytical thinking, paired with an appreciation for theater and live entertainment(though a unique combination), is critical. The Finance Associate will be joining a team of just such people. An understanding of how your role in the finance department plays into the bigger picture of the work produced by our clients will be crucial to a successful and fulfilling day at the office. An interest in learning new things and a curiosity in how and why RPM does what it does is also essential to this role. The Finance Associate should love a to-do list...and love crossing things off it even more.